If you’ve been sitting around just waiting for someone to invent Poutine Meat Loaf, your wish just came true.
After the success of my Poutine Burgers a few weeks ago….
….I thought I’d try making a meatloaf version, complete with crispy potato crust. Check it out.
Poutine Meat Loaf
1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground pork
2 cups diced cheese curds
8 cloves roasted garlic
1 small onion, grated
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 cup of your favourite bread crumbs (I used sourdough)
1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
3 sprigs of fresh basil (when chopped, approx. 3 tbsp)
2 russet potatoes, peeled and sliced thinly on a mandoline
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease your large casserole dish and layer potatoes on the bottom
- Mix remaining ingredients and put on top of potatoes
- Bake 1 hour or until internal temperature reaches 150 degrees
- Strain out fat and flip out onto a parchment lined cookie sheet
- Roast under the broiler, potato side up until browned. Approx. 5 minutes
- Remove from oven and rest 15 minutes, covered with foil.
- Use 4 tbsp beef fat for the gravy. Add 2 tbsp flour and make a roux. Mix in 2 cups of beef stock, and season with salt/pepper.
- Slice and serve with gravy